Brooklyn Fire Spread Through Illegally Subdivided Building
A recent fire in a Brooklyn apartment building claimed the life of a tenant and injured 16 others. According to the FDNY, the apartment had been illegally divided into cramped, dangerous living spaces.
The fire was sparked by a faulty refrigerator wire. And according to the owner, a second-floor tenant, without his consent, had created 11 illegal small rooms in his apartment. After the blaze, the Department of Buildings ordered the remaining residents to vacate.