How to Evaluate Succession Rights Claims to Rent-Regulated Apartments

When the tenant of a rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartment dies or moves out, there's often someone still living in the apartment who claims to have “pass-on” or succession rights to it because he or she is the tenant's relative or has a family-type relationship with the tenant. If the claim is true, the relative of a rent-controlled tenant can stay on in the apartment as a rent-controlled tenant in his or her own right. The relative of a rent-stabilized tenant is entitled to a renewal lease in his or her own name.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from New York Apartment Law Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?