How to Follow the Rent Stabilization Code’s Settlement Rules

It may be to your advantage to settle with a tenant over a complaint he’s filed with the DHCR before the DHCR makes a decision on the complaint. Doing so can save you time and money, and you can avoid concerns over an uncertain result. But you need to be careful about how you settle the complaint. The Rent Stabilization Code (RSC) sets forth some rules on what you must do. If you fail to follow them, the tenant can turn around later and renounce the settlement.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from New York Apartment Law Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?