New Permit Fees for New Buildings and Alteration Filings in Effect
As of March 5, 2018, new permit fees specified in Local Law 56 of 2016 are in effect. According to DOB’s recent service update, there are three categories of new permit fees:
- Amendments and Corrections–Beginning March 5, all amendments and corrections affecting fees will require the entire job to be recalculated under the new fee structure.
- Filings (old filing fee structure)–Any job pre-filed in status ‘A’ or uploaded through eFiling before June 9, 2016, will be calculated using the previous fee structure.
· Filings (new filing fee structure)–Jobs created or uploaded on June 9, 2016, and after will be subject to the new fee structure. Subsequent filings made on or after June 9, 2016, regardless of initial file date, will also be calculated using the new fee structure.
Local Law 56 of 2016 was enacted on June 9, 2016. The new rates have been effective since then but have been reflected in NYC’s Buildings Information System in two phases. Phase 1 included reduced permit fees for one-, two-, and three-family dwellings and low-income housing, and it was implemented on Jan. 16, 2017. Phase 2, represented by the recent service update, includes all other new rates specified in the legislation as follows:
New Buildings Fee Structure
- New applications for all other buildings fewer than seven stories and 100,000 square feet or less won’t have an increase in the cost per square footage of $0.26, but the minimum fee increases from $100 to $280.
- New applications for all other buildings seven stories or greater or more than 100,000 square feet have increased in the cost per square footage from $0.26 to $0.45, and the minimum fee has increased from $100 to $290.
Alterations Building Fee Structure
- The fee calculation rate for new applications for buildings with fewer than seven stories and less than 100,000 square feet buildings will no longer have a secondary fee calculation rate such as $20 for each $1,000 worth of work above $2,000.
- The fee calculation rate for new applications for buildings with seven stories or more or greater than 100,000 square feet has increased from $10.30 as follows: Alteration 1 new fee calculation rate, $17.75 and the minimum fee is $290; Alteration 2 and 3 fee calculation rates and minimum fees are unchanged.