RGB Recommends Rent Increase, Upcoming Meetings and Hearings
At the Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) Preliminary Vote on April 25, the board recommended increases for rent-stabilized apartments. Five of the board's nine members voted to recommend a 1 to 3 percent increase on one-year leases, and a 2 to 4 percent increase on two-year leases. This vote comes after there were rent freezes over the last two years.
The board’s vote was a preliminary step before public hearings and a final decision on June 27. The new guidelines will be in effect for lease renewals between Oct. 1, 2017, and Sept. 30, 2018. Public hearings will be held in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan for the public and owners to weigh in on what final rent increases the board should set within the approved ranges. Meeting agendas will be posted online at least one day prior to each meeting, unless otherwise unavailable. And video of past RGB public meetings, hearings, and votes are available at https://www.youtube.com/user/RentGuidelinesBoard/videos. Video will be posted within three days following each event. The schedule of the upcoming RGB meetings is as follows:
- Thursday, May 25, 2017. Public Meeting; Landmarks Preservation Commission, Conference Room, David N. Dinkins Municipal Building, 1 Centre St., 9th Fl., New York, NY 10007—9:30 a.m.
- Monday, June 5, 2017. Public Testimony; Jamaica Performing Arts Center Auditorium, 153-10 Jamaica Ave., Jamaica, NY 11432—5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 8, 2017. Public Testimony; Oberia D. Dempsey Multi Service Center - Auditorium, 127 West 127th St.; New York, NY 10027—5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Monday, June 12, 2017. Public Testimony; Bronx Museum of Art, Lower Gallery, 1040 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10456—5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Public Testimony; Alexander Hamilton, U.S. Customs House, 1 Bowling Green, New York, NY 10004 —2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Monday, June 19, 2017. Public Testimony; Saint Francis College-Founders Hall, 180 Remsen St., Brooklyn, New York 11201—5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 27, 2017. Public Meeting (Final Vote); Baruch College-Mason Hall; 17 Lexington Ave. (corner of 23rd St.), New York, NY 10010—6:30 p.m.