How to Deregulate Apartment by Renting to Professional or Commercial Tenant

If you have a vacant rent-stabilized apartment, you may be able to take advantage of a money-making opportunity. If you rent the apartment to a commercial or professional tenant who will use it solely for nonresidential purposes (for example, as a medical office), the apartment will no longer be covered by rent stabilization. In other words, you can negotiate with the professional tenant and charge whatever rent the market will allow.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from New York Apartment Law Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?